To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 7:52 AM
Subject: Re: 727 trans oil and 63 hestiation

Generally 7 qtz imp. if the converter is dry as well. After you drive it for 10 minutes recheck as fair amount will migrate to the tailstock ansd stay there in all the little pockets. Sorry about the imperial. Up here where winter is long and it is real cold we used to drink a lot of rum to keep warm. The smaller American gallon was just not enough for us to get warm so we went to the imperial gallon (160 fl oz which is also exaclly 10 lbs of water.) Now that we are a more reifined group having lost our pioneer spirit we switched to metric a few years ago since only a litre is needed now to keep warm (global warmmg of course!!.) DISCLAIMER This explaination comes from an abstainer of achohal so may not be 100% accruate but just his opinion) BTW I and my frends now use synthetic in our trans as it extends the life under hard use considerably. In fact in many cases it ends completely wear related failures (front stator support sealing ring failure and therefore high clutch failure as well. ). i am not a synthetic proponent normally but this is one place it has payed off well. i have gone into detail before of how and why we got there so i wont again.

Hesitation in a 63 polara.
WIwith fast idle as well.
The fast idle as mentioned is caused by the fast idle cam which is part of the choke system. I suspect the choke is not coming off. Why? Because the carb heat crossover passage is plugged. Aso since the manifold then is now no longer heated or at least running as hot as it was desgined to when originally the carb wa calibrated when the car was deisgned it requires a different mixture so would proabaly hesitate even if the choke was disconnected. (Just undo the clip on the choke spring rod and let the choke flop open if you want to try it. Since mopars, which were always known for great gas mileage, are jetted near the edge they have no extra to deal with a cold manifold. How do you know if you choke is coming of fast enough? (which also tells do i have enough carb heat from the manifold heat passage) Here is the tune up mans rule of thumb from the days of chokes and carbs. The choke should be full off. (able to reach low idle or base idle for instance in 5 minutes from start up . Regardless of outside temp since once the engine starts it is on engne temp and could care less about outside temperatures. (Just like us in a house . We shower and bath when it is -20F outside and it doesnt bother us because we are on house temp not outside temp. I know there is cold air flowing over the motor but after the rad gets warm even that is not totally cold and it would take more air than we could push to cool the motor of enough to bother a propely working choke heat system. Lastly the newer gasoline does not really like running on the old jetting and i often jet up one or two sizes to bring the calobration back in line. Accel pump is easliy checked. open the choke and pump the throttle.(ENGINE NOT RUNNIG OF COURSE) You should see a strong stream from the accel pump nozzles. If not replace the pump (actually overhaul the carb. Dont do half a job. Mom, who was a [poet always told me. "Whatever you do do with your might. Things done by halfs are never done right. ) I have seen where all of these factors came into play on more than one engine with some age on it. . To fix the carb heat the manifold must be removesd. (A series engnes need the antifreeze drained frst. B/RB Series dont since it is a dry manifold. Find the heat passage in the centre port of the manifold . it will be plugged with black sooty carbon. Using a big screwdriver that you dont care about do whatever you need to do to open this passage up from both sides. So you can blow air through it easily. it wouldnt hurt to hot tank the mnifold but i reasonble effort can be made using strong solvent to wash the port about several times. Of course for summer cars with big hp we plug this passage and rejet and choke?( approx 55 hp so Bill Bagshaw said on the dyno) Choke? What choke? The only time we choke is when we take too big a bite from our burgers!
Don

Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)