From: "Don Dulmage" <big-d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:56 AM
Subject: Denny and the sprotfurys

> Denis. I would say in many cases all of the above.  It used to be we had
the  highest savings rate percapitia but that was long ago now.
> By brother who lives south of the border lectured me on this tightwad
thing once saying when you guys up there buy a car you are looking for a
deal. We we down here buy a car we just want that car  and only check the
price to see if we have enough.  He said it is like washing a car. You dont
need to know how much water you use to get it clean , you just need to know
that you have enough to do it.  That was his explaination not mine but up
till the last generation we were very very careful with our gold. Probably
because we grew up with out much. I lost my 63 the first time round trying
to get a better deal.(I offered $1950) It got sold or traded on me although
my Mom passed away at the time so i was distracted for awhile. The second
fellow phoned me after i tracked him down through his brother in law and
asked my why i wanted it. I told him that  I lost the deal because i didnt
stay with it when Mom passed away. He asked why i wanted it so bad. I told
him i had a 426 MAx Wedge sitting here in the shop looking for a home.  He
said and I quote, "OK Dulmage, here is the deal. It is $2500. Not $1900 and
not even $2499." I swallowed hard at the thought of paying full price. I am
not only a thrifty Canadian but my ancestors are Schwaben (who are the
people who taught the Scotts and the Dutch how to be cheap) "OK" I said, "I
will be there tomorrrow at 1.pm with a trailer and the money. " It was BTW
the day after my brother gave me the lecture so i was listening.
> I remember my Dad buying his first set of whitewalls in 1964 for his 61
Dodge Seneca. He couldnt sleep all night having spent money so foolishly so
he went at first light to the garage and had them turned inside so no one
would think he was that flamboyant. That is true too, I lie not.
> Anyway we often have different options here and sometimes some of the
fancier ones were not available. Such is life. I still am proud to be a
Canuck.
> Don
> Author of
> Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)