RE: Oh give me a break.

Rich;

Check the connections behind the dash especially at the ammeter for good
connectivity.  Over the years they corrode and or loosen and I have seen
them do as yours, showing full charge just before they turn the harness into
a crispy critter.   The wire harness on our cars is not its strongest
feature.  Also check for a good ground from Body (Frame) to Engine.  A
possible cause of your recent debacle, it does sound electrical!  Another
result of a bad engine & body ground is a burnt shifter or park cable, I
have seen them actually weld the cable to the housing freezing it up.  I
also have observed a speedometer cable act as a ground on manual shift car
causing it to fail.  In reality the engine & drive train are fairly well
insulated from the body by mounts & bushings to reduce vibrations thus
insulating them electronically also!!  Grounds are the most over looked
connection in the electrical system.  Just a thought from a rooky?

Herb

----