AMC

I was in my early career employed by a dealer as a AMC Mechanic. We also were the BMC dealer and also British Leyland and so serviced Javlins and Jags and MGs and Minis in the same shop. It was the best paying shop in town then as no one wanted to work on these cars but i found it an interesting job and a great learning experience. I was 17 when I started there and probably would have stayed had we not gotten and idiot for a service manager.
We had oppourtunity to buy factory cars and my pal , now a manager at Calgary Dragstip,  Vern Christy bought one of the 1967 Shell 4000 Rally Rambler Americans after the Rally for a song ($2000). It was a 290 with a 4 bbl and 4 speed and was a hot ittle car (2dr post) We removed all the rally stuff and changed it to a drag car K/S. We ran it for several years. We was "poo" then so Vern bought the car and I bought the headers gears and slicks etc. It wasn't my car but i figured the oppourtunity to race and learn was worth it (and it was BTW)    AMC supplied anything we broke through their warranty program and told us to write it down , take a warranty card from a new car on the lot and use it for new parts but we had to tell them and write it down. Usually it was axles that we broke as they were fine splined and would slip, not keyed like our wonderful 62to64 cars. There is a picture of the car on my old sympatico website. It ran low 14s in NHRA stock trim and while not a  killer it was also not an embarrasment but a lot of fun and a great training ground for a couple of 17/18 year olds. The script on the door says D and C performance. I of course am D (Dulmage) and Vern was C (Christy)
I have built a few hot AMCs they are good motors and respond well to mods. A well done 360 can be a real killer . Their best motor by far though is the 232 258 6 clyinder.
Anyway Sorry to bore ya all. Just remembering the early days.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)