Re: Converting manual to power steering...what's involved

Re: Converting manual to power steering...what's involved

The conversion to power steering is OK, if, you have the power steering box
revalved. Steer and Gear in Columbus Ohio offers this service in 3 stages.
You tell them the purpose of the car...daily driver, drag race, etc...and
they will explain and recommend which package to use. They can make it feel
like driving your new Dodge truck if you want. I think the pricing is about
$250 exchange. Then you have the cost of the components and about 60 more
pounds weight in the front end.
 I converted my '62 Sport Fury from power to manual (using the Flaming River
adapter which includes the new small "U" joint to replace the old ball and
trunion). It drives great with 225-70-15 tires up front. I wouldn't want to
parallel park all day, but so far I haven't had to do that anyway.
 I converted to save space when using the cast iron MaxWedge exhaust
manifolds. If it was a daily driver, I would have had the unit revalved.

Mel Major
'62 Sport Fury

----