RE: 1963 Fender Tag Engine Code??

Bill Watson wrote:

> The third slant six was a 198-cid engine, but the 198 did not appear
> until
> 1970 when it replaced the 170.
>
> There were two slant six engine blocks, the G for the 170 engine (3.125"
>
> stroke) and the RG for the 225 (4.125" stroke).  All slant six engines
> had a
> 3.40" bore.  Of course, as the strokes were different, so were the
> connecting rods and crankshafts.   The extra inch was quite literally
> added
> to the top of the block - the water pump, distributor, camshaft, etc.
> were
> all in the same locations on both engines in relation to the crankshaft
> although the valve push rods were longer on the RG.
>
> The 198 appeared for 1970 using the RG block with a 3.64" stroke, almost
> mid
> way between the 170 and 225.   Again, the bore was the same so
> differences
> were with the connecting rods, push rods, crankshaft, etc., although the
>
> push rods were the same now.
>
> Bill
> Vancouver, BC

That makes sense. I forgot about the "8". I knew it was a 190 something.
It was in the 70's when I was ordering the stuff and working on that
engine. I used the same pushrods and the conrods came in the 170 kit. I
wonder if they were shorter? If so I still had a lower comp ratio then.
Interesting. The kit was from NAPA and used Wolverine pistons as I
recall.

----