Layson Fiasco

I pray that Chrysler is not going to play games with our hobby like CSX Rail
Road did to the Model Railroad hobby several years back. I am a train
enthusiast in addition to MoPar’s and remember the mess that got started by
CSX RR. They started like Chrysler by raiding a train show and confiscating
every thing that had CSX & related rail roads printed on it claiming
copyright infringement and raked a few dealers over the coals tarnishing
their names and eventually putting them out of business. Then they had their
Cinder Dicks (RR Police) go into hobby shops and confiscate product off
their shelves.

CSX then contacted all the manufactures and wanted them to pay millions in
licensing fees every year for the use of their name and royalties on each &
every product produced. Well as you can guess there is not a huge profit
margin in model trains and every one just stopped making anything CSX
related. So who suffered? Every kid that sees a CSX train running through
town and thinks the yellow & blue is cool, and tries to find one at the
Hobby Shop. The older modeler that likes & models the Fallen Flags that now
makeup CSX such as B&O, C&O & Conrail to mention a couple of names they were
claiming rights to also. This is a slippery slope that Chrysler is looking
down. They have no intention of manufacturing all the old parts them selves
they just want a piece of the action $$$ licensing fees & royalties only by
virtue of being Chrysler. They will probably hit a couple of more shows and
auto parts stores confiscating any thing with their name on it claiming
infringement. Not unlike all these Designers are doing with ladies purses,
shoes and the like. What will probably happen? Simple economics every one
will stop making Chrysler parts because the profit margin is not there to
share the wealth or we will have parts for our cars like gasoline, $$$ when
will it stop.

Hopefully Chrysler will follow CSX and just back off and let the hobbyists
have fun hobbying.

Sorry to get on my soapbox just my two cents!

 Herb

1963 Sport Fury Convertible 361
1970 Challenger RT 440
1999 Durango SLT 5.9