RE: Band adjustment?

Jim:

If ya don't ask ya don't learn!! Don is dead on! If you take the time and
adjust the bands by torqueing and backing off you will find your self very
close to what you get doing it by sight. You have two adjustments one kind
of hard to get at on the outside by the linkage and one on the inside back
of the pan. Loosen the lock nut, back it off about 4 or 5 turns and tighten
the center stud down snug till no play at front servo and back it off till
you get about 1/4 in gap between the lever and the servo. Hold the center
stud in place and tighten the locknut. The reason to hold it from turning is
to keep your adjustment. The easy one is the inside one after filter removal
 Follow the same procedures as the front adjuster arm and wola you got it!!
PS: don't get to upset if you find some metal in the pan that is normal.
(AAmco will try and tell you it's transmission time, BS!) Also a lot of
Torqueflite's have a round magnet like a doughnut stuck to the pan make sure
you clean it & the pan as well as you can with any solvent! Also start all
of your pan bolts, then snug them and lastly tighten them but not to tight
that the gasket swells out of the sides! And when your dropping the pan
remove the bolts from three corners of the pan and leave one corner tight.
Pry the pan gently from the opposite corner that is tight with a big pan 12
qt + under it. Your going to get about 4 quarts or more gushing out from the
pan. Go slow and let it drain slow and you wont have any big mess to clean
up! Be sure to make sure the pan is flat all the way around the flange and
not bowed at the bolt holes because it will leak if left as is. Previously I
explained how to straighten it with a 2 by 4 and hammer. Hope this helps!
Any other questions feel free to ask, the only dumb question is the one you
Don't ask!

Herb

1963 Sport Fury Convertible 361
1970 Challenger RT 440