RE: ignition

Don Dulmage wrote:

>  Just so you know i do not run a alternator in my race cars. and never
>  have (otherthan for testing) for 30 years and they dont miss at high
>  speed so that you dont need to worry about. Quick rule of thumb is any
>  battery that will start your engine has MORE than enough poop to run the
>  ignition at any RPM.
> I am ducking now at all the guys who want to tell me my race car will go
> faster with an alternator. It wont. How do i know? i have tried it, more
> than once. Tis an urban myth. Enuf is enuf. too little is not good but
> too much or more and more and more is ridiculous as well. .
> Some boxes have a limiter in them . I dont now about the Echlin. Echlin
> is the parent of Accel so one would think it would be very good.
> Don

I know this doesn't have a limiter cause I get 5800rpm in first (if I
want) and sometimes it's good to that rpm in 2d. But other times it just
dies off at lower rpm's like 4200. That was when I had the electric fan
running which takes 18amps on it's own. It can die off in first too but
less likely.

I think I heard that the ign takes about 8-10amps to run. I do have a
very good and new Interstate battery. I was told that alternators are
considered good if they produce 75% of their rated amps and most are
only putting out about 80% to begin with. It was a night race too so I
had headlights and fan running. That's getting right up to the 35amps
with 18 fan, 8 ign and whatever all the lights take. Should I shut off
my 100amp boombox :-) Could discharge the battery methinks. But then
thinking makes my head hurt.

----