RE: Removing leaf springs? - Any Old Rusty Nut

RE: Removing leaf springs? - Any Old Rusty Nut

I think someone mentioned the old reliable Fire Ax. (Torch)

Works well, but if you want to keep the original bolt, nut, ubolt,
or whatever, here is a great method. Heat the nut with your
torch, rose bud works best, to a cherry red color, then quench
the nut and bold with cold water. I use a bucket of water and a rag.
This will shock the rust and crud built up between the nut and bolt,
it will spin off like butter after this method. Before removing it after
it has cooled down, put some lube on the exposed part of the bolt
to assist. Works great. I learned this years ago from a old body man.

One mistake most people make when first trying this is not heating
the nut up enough. Try it, it works.

Earl

----