Re: Block markings & trans stuff

At 06:50 PM 9/9/2008, you wrote:
At 08:16 AM 9/9/2008, Bill Maurits wrote:
I had a conversation with an "old" Mopar mechanic last night. He
worked for a local Chrysler dealer for ~40 years and has recently
retired to make money building and playing w/ and building race cars
and motors...name is Garry Neese (sp?) if anyone knows him.

Anyway, we got on the topic of block markings and he thought that
sometime in the mid 60's was when they STARTED stamping ID's into
blocks and before ~64 (he was not sure of the year) there was no year
on the block or ID stamped...only a casting number. Is this true? If
so, what was the cut off year?

No, MoPar stamped blocks at least as far back as my 38 Plymouth.

My 64 300's 413 was stamp with an T (for 63) then over stamped with a V (for 64) and also stamped 41 (for 413) and HP (for high Performance). That was an oddball engine. had pre 64 style rocker arm stands (separate aluminum stands) but had 64 and up 6 bolt valve covers.

Ya, "ID" is not a very specific term. He may be trying to speak to the point at which VINs began to be stamped on engine blocks (and transmissions), which I believe was 1968, to comply with Federal law.

When looking at a bare block and trying to figure out for what model year it was machined, I just remember that A=1965, and count up from there.

Next onto trannys - If I'm correct, 64 & older trannys had 2 cables,

Yes, and also a kick down linkage if it was an auto. With a ball and trunnion output shaft.

65's were 1 cable, 1 linkage,

No, still two cables and a kick down linkage,

I agree. FWIW, 1964 was the last year for push-button shift. 1965 introduced column shift with cables. 1966 used linkage rather than cables.

like the early ones but with a slip yoke output shaft, unless it was a 904 style trans, at least in the 65 A bodies which had the ball and trunnion output still.

I could show you a '65 Newport with a 383, late build at the Newark assembly plant that has a ball and trunnion driveshaft.
It's lying in a junkyard 20 miles from where I live.
Someone pointed out to me that the transmission could have been changed out at some point, but I haven't bothered to do that investigation - the car is resting on its subframes.

Also, what year did the input shaft diameter
change to the "modern" setup...was that 66 and 65's had the smaller
shaft? Or did they change in 67?

67, also the centering ring on the crank changed to accommodate the larger diameter centering snout on the converters.

Interestingly, the meat for a bigger crank counterbore is present on the earlier crankshafts - you just have to cut them out to a greater (1/4" greater) inside diameter. (Been there, done that). I can confirm that 1966 crankshafts have the smaller counterbore.

pigdoc

----