fan electric

 I use a relay when i do it. The brake lights are only the trigger for the relay, not the power source. It works very well too since when moving the fan is not needed since airflow is good. Just when stopped or creeping in traffic is the fan needed and so whenever the brakes are applied the relay triggers and the fan runs cooling the rad.
BTW more often than not a simple change in fan pulley diameter will make the car run cooler . About 1'2 inch. i have fixed several of our cars of this period by doing that. Usually the fan pulley from the poly is just right. Last one i cured was Bill Parsons  black 64 with the OR style engine in it. Many of you met Bill at Carlise recently so i heard by the grapevine so you know the car. it was creep heating, if you will in traffic, even in downtown Picton which is a tiny town. A simple change of fan pulley to one from a 318 poly which was about 1/2 to 3/4 smaller sped the water pump and fan up to the point where it is nonexistant as a problem. . I did the math for  Bill but i didnt keep it. Seemed to be though it was over a hundred RPM  maybe two or more it worked out to on the pump speed. I remember he was surprised since al lthe "experts " said "that wont make no difference" but it does and it did. Same for my car as well BTW. .

----