RE: Electric Fan

Dave Harms wrote:

> I know that this has been discussed before (I thought I saved the
> threads to
> Dodge
> Polara 500 with 383 and what should I expect to pay for one. I have a
> new
> aluminum radiator in it, but it still heats up at stop lights and such.
> don't know the ball park temp it gets to but I can watch it climb. So, I
> want to install an electric fan in front of the radiator. Ideas of where
> connect the power to would be of help also.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Dave Harms
>  1964 Dodge Polara 500

Some of the guys & gals hook it up to a toggle switch so it can be
turned on at will.  Don D. suggests hooking it up to your brake lights
so it will run while idling at stop lights.  You might want to do this
via a relay as the fan will pull more current than the brake light
switch was probably designed to carry.

On a related note I drove my car the 30 miles or so one way the other
evening to a cruise night.  It was fine on the highway which was the
first half of the trip but after getting into the city it started to
warm up. Eventually got to about 3/4's of the gauge and stayed there
until I parked it.  Some of the in city driving was done in stretches of
a mile or more at 45 mph or 2500 rpm w/ my .430 gears.  But the temp
never budged.  On the way home while it was about 10 degrees cooler
outside it never got above @ 1/3 of the way up the gauge.
I have a stock big block radiator.  I used to have an electric fan also
but after rebuilding the engine I left it off as it had no additional
cooling effect since I had similar issues before the rebuild too.  I
also run a transmission cooler which is plumbed inline w/ the radiator.
At it's hottest the transmission temp gauge showed @ 210 degrees.  On an
easy cruise it will run 150 - 170.
Since neither speed nor engine rpm have any effect once it gets warm I'm
at a loss as to whether to suspect airflow or coolant flow as the
culprit.
Rich Kinsley and I had a brief discussion about this at cruise night and
my question is why do we have such an issue with this now when it wasn't
an issue back in the day?  Rich suspects modern gasoline might have
something to do with it.  But I hear on this BB and elsewhere that guys
are running re-done 3 core radiators or like Dave, new aluminum
radiators and there are still problems.  What's a guy to do?  I guess we
have do all the little fixes, ie; 3 core rad., shroud, electric fans,
????, and hope the cumulative effect finally gets us to the promised
land.

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727