RE: setting up a trunk battery, tips please

RE: setting up a trunk battery, tips please

I used welding cable for a similar project some years ago and it worked fine except for one thing which probably won't affect your situation.  I was building a light duty wrecker with an electric winch, and put an auxilary battery next to the winch controls and motor in the back.  I connected the hot terminals of the main and auxilary batteries with arc welding cable, and grounded the auxilary battery to the wrecker apparatus and thus to the truck frame.  It worked great, keeping the auxilary battery fully charged from driving, and supplying a good jolt to the winch motor whenever needed.  However, I ran the cable exposed under the cab for a short distance, and the exposed part of the outer covering deteriorated very quickly and began cracking.  You'll probably keep it all inside the car, but you might just want to keep an eye on that.Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana >> >> >Hi, I want to move the battery to the trunk in my 64 cuda.How big of a> >positive lead do i need to run. I hear tell the negative can just> >be grounded thru the frame.> > I have a long lead i cut off from an old Lincoln 220v Arc welder.> >I would really like to use it , considering the price of copper> >nowadays. It has about twice the diameter of a regular positive> >lead. i would just need to solder some ends on it.> > neal zimmerman, eugene oregon> >