Re: 4-6-7-fan blade

${top_text_ad}
For HP purposes the best temp for me was 165. For efficiency and fuel
mileage the answer is the hottest it can be without pinging. I am a
personal believer in having it run cool, but not too cool. My .030
over 440 was a 625HP beast that NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CONDITIONS
(2 1/2hrs idling in traffic after driving at 70mph on the interstate
at 95 degrees) did that engine go over 175. It had a 160 hi flow
t-stat, flowcooler water pump, 26" 3 core double density rad and the
max cooling 7 blade factory original clutch fan and shroud. The engine
had been hot tanked prior to me building it up. It had aluminum heads
and headers.

Now in my 63 Polara I have the standard 22" Rad with 3 core double
density innards. Got a BIG 472 in behind it. I have tried (all with
the factory shroud) the direct drive 5 blade, aftermarket 18" 7 blade
flex fan, a direct drive 7 blade fan, a MP viscous 5 blade fan with
the 160 high flow t-stat and it will go over 200 on a hot day idling.
If it moves it will drop to 180 but the further I drive the more it
creeps up to eventually run 195. A temp I hate to see. I have just
installed a 7 blade max cooling 19" flex fan. I had to modify the
shroud some but this is my last attempt before I go to a full electric
puller. My water pump is a Moroso high flow. Cast heads and BIG
headers.

If you have a shroud ideally there should be approx 50% of the fan
inside the the shroud.

I have also been told to run a 180 t-stat so the coolant stays in the
rad longer. I will attempt that as my last resort. My personal feeling
is the cooler the better in case you have the scenario that I
mentioned earlier where you are running the engine at approx 3000rpm
and then hit gridlock for hours at 95 degree heat, you need to keep
the temps below 210 before some serious things may happen.

Steve.

--
Steve
'63 Hemi Polara