Re: Fw: 65 grill/headlight bezels

You need to prime the area with a zinc chromate primer first.
Paint doesn't like sticking to aluminum without a good primer coat.And zinc chromate is made for aluminum surfaces.
It will stick without the primer, but not nearly as long.
You can buy it at boat dealers in a spray can.

Jimmy

Lynette wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: Lynette To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 10:45 AM
Subject: 65 glill/headlight bezels

I have a 1965 Dodge Coronet 500, just painted,  and would like some advise on how to properly detail the grill and headlight bezels with paint.  Specifically :

Is there any special metal prep needed?

Is the best way to reveal the areas to be painted with masking tape and an exacto knife, or is there a better technique?

What sheen of black was used...I'm guessing flat black?

Best paint to use..Krylon or...?

Any clear coat or sealer needed?

The car was originally a California car and was owned by the same person for thirty years. The grill /bezels are in very good condition, very minor dings. This is not going to be a 100pt. show car, but I will be taking it to car shows and the strip.
I cannot afford to have the trim professionally restored, so any help would be appreciated.

Jude K

----