Big Block B (was Re: SV: SV: SV: SV: 361BB)

Big Block B (was Re: SV: SV: SV: SV: 361BB)

allpar has an overview article that is ok.

But describing the development of the big block engine it reads: "The department was faced with the question of whether to go with the heavy, expensive Hemi chambers, with the polyspherical heads, or with the wedge-shaped chambers used by most other automakers. In the end, they decided the cost and complexity of the Hemi was not called for, and discovered that the poly heads had little advantage over the wedge shape, and went with the wedge."

The current batch of production Mopar wedge engines hints that that the late 1900s Chrysler engineers reconsidered the Poly head valve design and concluded the 1950's engineers were premature in their decision. Maybe computer modeling capability and pollution control demands made the difference.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/b-engines.html is the link.

Thanks,
Gary H.