To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 6:30 AM
Subject: RE: Latest findings

Rich,
I have a similar problem with my Barracuda (with a Max Wedge)...
with the hood off it ran cool as a cucumber but with the hood on the temp
would creep.  If I drove it long enough, it would run right up to 230+ by
the time I'd panic and shut it off or pull the hood.  It seemed like there
was plenty of air coming in (we did the paper test as well).  We also
wondered about the hood scoop pressurizing the engine compartment, causing
lack of air flow through the radiator.  An air plenum sealing the carbs to
the hood didn't help, so we ruled that out.

Along the way we also tried 3 different high volume water pumps, a
different housing, various thermostats, and even an electric water pump and
cooling fan, all with similar results.  The fan shroud seemed to help, but
at this point we've concluded that the problem was getting the hot air out
of the engine compartment.

Thinking about it, you have a 4 square foot hole in the front of the
car (the radiator opening) with a fan to pull the air through it when air
isn't being forced through it going down the road. Looking around the rest of the engine compartment, I'm not seeing nearly that much room to allow the air out - removing the hood apparently creates the needed space to evacuate
the hot air pulled through the radiator.

BTW, the smaller crank pulley slows the water pump down, so you may
want to stick with the larger one... that's one of the changes we're making this year - a larger stock size pulley to replace the "trick" small aluminum
piece.

As usual, my $.02...
SC