Re: Todays findings

Rich- when things act up, do you notice a real acrid odor from your engine?. Occassionally with my early hemi, after getting on it good and hard, I would have similar problems that I just could not figger out. Fuel pressure ok, gas filter ok , plugs clean but changed them anyway. . I noticed that it acted up after getting gas. After adding "SEA FOAM" and driving 20-30 miles , it would gradually straighten up and then be ok. I am convinced that the fuel I had put in was causing the problem. And I don't think it was water. "HEET' would not work and there was no water in the filter. ----Beats me ????????...........MO.......sw iowa ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Kinsley" <rlkinsley@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 10:34 PM
Subject: Todays findings

This is like a soap opera. Today I removed the valve covers and retested
and corrected the valve lash. This time I used the method Earl Helm said
to use. I turned the engine to TDC and did #1, then turned it 90deg to
the next cylinder in the firing order and set it. This was real easy and
I found if I removed the dist cap all I had to do was turn it till the
reluctor and mag pick-up were in line. I had over-tightened a few with
my keep tighting till they're all .014" at any point. My reasoning was
that the gap shouldn't be more than .014" at any point and if it was,
tighten it. Sounds right but I guess it's not. D**n my mechanic :-) I
did discuss this scenario with Dodger too.

I checked the plugs and see no oil. I did a compression test with the
plugs pulled and dry cylinders with 5 cranks of the starter. 5 were at
185psi and the other 3 were at 182psi. I'd say that's good. I couldn't
find my leak down fitting. I put in new plugs too.I also put the timing
light on every plug wire and they stayed steady. So I am convinced the
rings, valve settings and ignition are doing fine.

Then I started the car and ran it about 15 minutes at idle. The fuel
pressure looked a little high but it's hard to tell 'cause the gauge is
at the end of the fuel block after the carbs and it jumps 2 or 3 psi
constantly as the carbs suck some fuel off. I'll move it to the other
output on the press regulator and that should make it accurate. I did
set the press down a bit as it looked high. The car ran nice and cool
and idled smooth. Then it started to sputter and my stepson said he saw
the fuel press drop to about 3 or less. Then it did the same old cough,
gasp, backfire with bluish smoke and dieseled before it finally died. It
restarted fine about 5 minutes later and ran good again.

Next I am going to concentrate on the fuel system as I really feel it's
the culprit. Maybe the pump or the reg are messing up or I still doubt
the last fill up with the octane booster. That's when the problem
started. I'll see if there's any seperating in the fuel and check the
filter too. I'll let you know in the next chapter :-)

----

----