RE: Security

Yes, a fuel pump kill switch is good (ideally hidden).  You can also put an
ignition kill switch in a different location in case they find the fuel pump
switch.

Just about any hood release from a newer FMJR body should work with a little
tweaking.  Again, anything you can do to hide or disguise the hood release
will slow a thief, who usually won't want to spend alot of time.  Maybe a
second cable from the parking brake release lever to pop the hood??

I always thought about using the lighter to simply ground out the wire going
from the coil to the distributor - push the lighter in and it's like the
points are stuck closed.  Pop the lighter out and you've got spark.  Also
thought about putting another factory-looking switch (Another wiper or fan
switch) on the dash just for this purpose.  Very few people would notice
anything out of the ordinary but again, the common thief won't know the
difference. Good way to fill an extra hole drilled by a previous owner.  You
could also put a dummy (in plain view) "cut out switch" under the dash
(where a thief would will look first) and hook it to the horn relay - just
be prepared to steam clean the driver's seat after he honks the horn in the
car he's trying to steal.

As you can probably tell, I like stuff like this (it's the geek in me)... I
put a switch in my street/strip cars that in one position allows the horn to
function normally, but in the other position allows me to hold the line-lock
with my horn button.  Actually did this first on my '63 Savoy years ago as
it's tough to hold a line-lock switch button and make the 2-3 burnout shift
with pushbuttons... no hands left to hold the wheel!  I've also used a
switch that in one position allows normal charging, but in the other
position disables the alternator (oooh, more horsepressure!) and allows my
rear battery disconnect switch function properly.  Don't switch this one
with the car running as the voltage spike can gack your fancy electronic
ignition.  You could get real fancy and do both of these with a DPDT switch,
but I digress...

My '64 came with a chain from the hood that could be wrapped around the core
support brace and padlocked, but it rattled around under the hood and
chipped up all the paint so I took it out.

You won't stop a determined thief (who will just use a flatbed and will
literally be gone in 60 seconds), but you will deter the average battery
thief or joy-rider.

On a semi-related note I kinda had to laugh last week when I took my Fury to
the muffler shop to check out an exhaust rattle... the kid stuck his head
through the door with the big "Employees Only" sign and says "keys?".  I
threw him the keys and did my best to stifle the smirk.  I checked the clock
in the waiting room and it took over 5 minutes for the Fury to appear in the
shop... not sure if he got help, figured it out on his own, or just took a
smoke break, but he couldn't wait to tell me how cool pushbutton shifters
were when I left!

SC