To: "Mopar Website" <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:45 AM
Subject: RE: Petty Stock Car- and a way to have one of your own!

John,

Where in Georgia are you??

Rick Gilmore

North Carolina (Petty Country)

To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
From: 426_maxwedge@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 04:17:17 -0400

Way back in the 1980's I started a similar project on a '67. Was pretty
serious into being authentic
as much as possible and travelled to the Joe Weatherly museum after speaking
with the curator and
setting up an after hours metting to take detailed shots of the car on
display. Armed with these photos
and six 8x10's from the Daytona historical archives I started on a '67
Satellite that I and a friend went
in together and bought from a guy that was at the time the manager of Honest
Charlies in Chattanooga.
He was selling the car to move outta state and go to work for Weld Wheels.
I mention this because this
chance meeting was also my first real exposure to early B coolnees. He had a
really nice ice blue '64
Dodge big block car and that was definately a turning point for me; seening
a nice one for the first time.
Our combined purchase went like this, he got the interior, and I got
everything else. This was a two tone
burgandy body, silver rocker, black vinyl top combination with a 383/727. I
had the cage duplicated as
close as possible leaving out a forward diagonal to accomodate a passenger
bucket. The engine hoop
looks somewhat convincing but doesn't connect through the firewall. There's
a in car rear shock mount
that again looks the part but isn't really doing anything. I spent a lotta
nights, summers, and time. A young
feller oughta be out doing somthing more enjoyable: but I guess all in all
it kept me outta trouble and I'm
sure I musta learned a thing or two while I was at it. Bought and
stockpiled some parts, still have just
about all of them, there's a bunch of stuff been waiting in an attic since
the early 80's for a day that never
came. Jumping ahead several years, my dad who has ran a carlot since '62
takes over the project and
puts his on staff body guy on it full time. It made some real progress for
a while the doors made it to
final paint, the hood and deck lid got well toward completion and are in
tinted primer, these parts too are
in storage. Car was sandblasted inside and out, the quarters were radiused
as were the fenders, and the
quarters were also swelled for clearance like they did in the days prior to
templates. And then it stopped.
Dad tired of the project and it was pushed outside under a shed in bare
metal no less and there it sits.
This is not a project for the timid. There is a bunch of stuff worth
acquring the project just for the parts
alone. I will include every piece I have for '66/'67 Plymouths AND my
research photos etc. I am
relunctant to do this and I hope whoever might be interested will finish the
vision I and my father had.
The car has no title but I do have the Georgia Bill of Sale that I got with
the car so long ago. Greg Weld
might know the whereabouts of the original owner as might whoever the oldest
still working dude is at
Honest Charlies. I have the original block which is a hunk of cast iron
that has sit under a shed with no
heads for years, it's included if you want it. If the sound of this strikes
a chord in you, I'll be willing to make
a deal that would be worthwhile on any level. I realize that I'm not gonna
finish this car: my dad isn't able and
has no interest, and my son just hasn't turned out to be a car guy like his
old man. It will require a donor
vehicle, in fact the donor might be the car to swap onto...I don't know if
it can be saved at this point but
I'll be more than happy to show you the car and let you decide. In a day of
"Pro Touring" - "Barrett this and
Jackson that", a true, pure, real man's, no holds barred, Mopar race animal
on the street will pitch a iron
glove in the face of "the large money in a hermetically sealed box on
wheels" set. The concept has come and
gone a time or two over the years but I've yet to see but a handful that
were built more like a scale model
than a street car with decals and Air Conditioning. Are you the next hard
core trend setter? If so either
E-mail me at 426_maxwedge@ comcast.net or call John Hammond 423-506-2497
Sorry for the long
and probably misplaced post but this car has half of my life's memories
attached to it and I feel like the
members of this forum would be the most likely candidates to understand why
I've never offered it for
sale. I also feel members here are of a type that I'd like to see acquire
it in hopes of giving it back the
life I've been unable to do.... John