RE: headless 383

Gary,
	I apologize if you've answered this already... is the rust in the
area where the rings travel or is it above?  I guess either way I'd lightly
dust it with a scotchbrite pad or 400-ish grit sandpaper.  If you have room
wrap the sandpaper around a socket so you're not making a groove with your
finger.  Keep your strokes angular to the centerline of the cylinder bore,
alternating to simulate crosshatch, never staight up and down.

	It is what it is... seal the piston edges using your favorite sealer
(vaseline, molding clay, silly putty) clean up the rust best you can (as
described above) without making the cylinder larger or out of round, clean
up the mess, then rotate the engine over to see if you feel resistance when
the rings pass over the affected area.  If so you'll need to hit it again;
repeat as necessary.  If you were trying to kill a set of clocks at the drag
strip or bomb a class index, you'd need to pull the motor and freshen it.
For a cruiser you're probably just fine.

	I recently watched in horror as my girlfriends' dad cleaned up a
65,000 mile 413 I had by removing the heads and pan and hosing the thing out
with Purple Power spray cleaner, a brush, and a garden hose.  Cleaned the
living daylights out of it (piston tops shiny, iron rusted as soon as it
dried), dried it, oiled it and pumped oil through it, stabbed it in the car
and it runs like a swiss watch.  I'm not ready to abandon the clean room
environment for engine assembly, but we're not doing neuro-surgery...

SC