Re: disc brakes - caution, another long read with part numbers and price

Re: disc brakes - caution, another long read with part numbers and prices

No offense taken, never turn down a chance to learn something new!!
While I've got your ear, my 65 Coronet 4-speed has the trunnion/ball driveshaft. I also have a 'shaft from a '65 727 car with the slip joint yoke. Will they interchange,and which is stronger? Thanks for all your imput, Warren ----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Charette" <stevec@imperialservices.

Warren,
Didn't mean to come off so preachy, but I feel pretty strongly about
this.

I did a little homework - I've been successful in the past (and
recently too) finding A-Body spindles with caliper brackets for $100/set.
Bill Reilly of Reilly Motorsports did studies on the F-M-J spindles and
concluded that the bump steer caused by the difference in geometry from the A-Body spindles is negligible, so although Rick Ehrenhberg in the past felt
that they (the FMJ spindles) aren't suitable for the early B-cars, they in
fact are.

So you score a set of the aforementioned spindles, and search online
for good parts deals.  I usually just run up to the local Advance Auto to
pick up parts, but here is what I found on Rockauto.com
Similar prices can be had just about anywhere.

Raybestos Rotor/hub assembly $47.79 ea
National outer Wheel Bearing #A2   6.39 ea
National inner wheel bearing #A17   8.05 ea
National wheel seal #6815   2.60 ea
Dorman wheel bearing dust cap #13975  2.93 ea
Raybestos Left Caliper #FRC4103 22.79 ea
Raybestos hose #BH36582 11.28 ea

Part Subtotal $101.83 per side or $203.66 for both
sides

Add to this your $100 investment in spindles with caliper brackets, plus the
hardware above, the whole mess recaps at:

Spindles/caliper brackets    $100.00
Hard Parts     203.66
Raybestos Semi-Metallic pads # PDG84M    35.79 (axle set)
Raybestos Hardware kit #H5516A 7.77  (axle set)

Grand Total    $347.22

This is all bew brand name parts (calipers are rebuilt), other lesser known
brands are less expensive yet, and Rockauto (and others) often has
close-outs on good quality stuff.

You can even get nice shiny new dust shields from Master Power for 80 bucks,
if yours can't be cleaned and painted.  A brand new dual master cylinder
will set you back another $70-80 (get a rebuilt for less than $30), and if
you couldn't snag the proportioning valve from the car that donated the
spindles you'll have to use an external valve for another $50.

Maximum spent with new shields, master cylinder and proportioning valve is
$557 and change. You can substitute reman or different brand parts to shave
some cost, and the more rebuilding/reusing you do the lower the cost gets.

When I did the set on my A-Body, I used the bearings that came with the
brakes I had cut off at a junk yard for $100. I used Cardone reman calipers
(less than $20 each back then) and cleaned and repainted my dust caps and
shields. I got gorgeous new rotors cast in Canada for a little over $20 ea,
IIRC.  The stock dual master cylinder drum brake proportioning valve
couldn't be tuned better.  With the reman '76 Dart master cylinder I was
just over $200 including new lines for the line lock.

One note from personal experience - get good quality (read that Made in USA)
caliper hold-down hardware.  Only a couple bucks more than imported stuff
that I have had problems with in the past - consider the prospect of the
caliper jumping up out of the bracket over bumps.  Not cool.

If your pockets are deeper or you don't like chasing parts you can get this
entire setup from Master Power for $1050.

I've been gathering parts for both the '62 Wagoon and the '64 Savoy and
picked up FMJ (Aspen/Volare, Diplomat/Gran Fury, Mirada/Cordoba) spindle
setups for both cheap.  I grab bits and pieces when I see them on sale
(going back to Rockauto now for some closeout deals) and will have
everything ready to go when I start assembly.

Best of luck with your project. Brakes are probably the most important, yet
often overlooked part of a build-up.  Going fast ceases to be fun when you
can't get it stopped.  Buy carefully and you can have great brakes at
minimal cost.

SC