Ball and Trunnion vs. Slip spline - was RE: disc brakes - caution...

Ball and Trunnion vs. Slip spline - was RE: disc brakes - caution...

Merwin,
	My opinion is that the much-maligned ball and trunnion is a viable
joint when in good condition.  Once they are worn or broken, you have to
make the decision to swap or repair.

	At the risk of repeating myself, the B&T was used by high-end auto
manufacturers (Rolls, Bentley, etc) back in the 60's, and the same style
joint was used in helicopters of the day as well.  It's a very robust joint.
Repair parts, while not cheap, are available.

	Once again, my $.02 only - if you have a street car/cruiser/Saturday
Night Special that you romp on once in a while, the B&T is probably fine, if
it's not clunking, clattering, or exposed to the elements (missing/torn
boot).  If you have a sticky tired boulevard brawler or drag car that spends
a lot of time on just the rear wheels, you might want to move toward the
more conventional cross type u-joint when the B&T begins showing signs of
wear.

	The '64 "Color Me Gone" car at the Chrysler Museum was cloned from
the old "Suspect 426" car that spent it's life in mid-Michigan.  The car was
a race car from day one.  I had the opportunity to drive the car in the 80's
- it ran low 11's at over 125mph, with the OE driveshaft.  The car was kinda
weird to drive - it had full upholstery and I always equated it with racing
my mom's car.  It was relatively quiet and smooth as silk, unlike my '63
that vibrated like crazy in high gear (needed a transmission mount, but
that's another story).  It was raced that way up until it became the "Color
Me Gone" car in the late 90's, and I'm guessing if you crawled under it
today, the same shaft is still there.

	You would need a slip-spline transmission (or tailshaft and housing
if you're rebuilding) to make the swap.  If the car were mine, I'd hold onto
the slip spline stuff until you need it.

SC