273 Rebuild status

Well, it looks like I'll be rebuilding the 273 rather than just a refresh (Rings & beargings). Needs boring, which means pistons and the like.

After bumping around on the phone, I got some good recommendations of friend of the the local car club president for a machine shop. It seems to be on the high end of average, but I can tell he does know his stuff. When I talked to Nellis Machine or Las Vegas Crank and Machine, they didnt leave me with a comfortable feeling about taking in my original block to them. I told HBR Competition Engies I will be dropping off the Block, Heads, Crank and Pistons tomorrow afternoon. Total for Bore (175-200)/Crank Turn (95)/Cam Bearing install (75)/re-condition rods (25-35) is at a 500-600, depending.

This will cause me to buy pistons. Only one company makes (egge) the 10.5:1s, Those will run about $300

Cam/Lifters from Racer Brown is now on Order $235+Tax. Ordered # ST-1 - Mechanical Cam. Its a little lumpier than the stock HiPo Cam (450 lift instead of 425), but not as big as the D-Dart race cam (495 lift). It should give me what I want.

So barring a ton of head work, the rest of the parts I'm looking at will be about $300 (Timing Chain, Teardown set, Freeze Plugs, Bearings, Rings, etc)

Total for a full rebuild minus head work, I'm looking at $1435. if I need head work, Usually about another $200-$500

If He were assembling, it'd be another 1000 or so.

Now to get the taxes submitted so I have the funds to pay for it with my return. ;-)

Regards and Happy Moparing.
--Tom