Re: Fuel gauge repair?

${top_text_ad}
Thanks Kevin.

Can you get the regulator out from underneath, or do you need to pull
the cluster or dash?

Once out, is there a way to check it first to see if it's bad?

Thanks for the link Gary.

- Jim
Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY
'63 Polara 500 (Max Wedge)
'63 Polara 500 (383)
'65 Belvedere I (Street Wedge)
'71 Bronco

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Kevin Merkley <krmerkley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It sounds like the voltage regulator in the back of the cluster is
> either gone or broken.  Those two gauges work on 5 volts and that
> voltage is regulated by a small rectangular box (1/2" x 1-1/2") plugged
> into the back of the printed circuit board.
>
> There are new electronic replacement regulators on ebay for about $50
> but check to see if you have one.  Perhaps there is someone near you
> that has a spare old one that you could get.
>
> I may have one in my garage but I'm in Canada and it would take a while
> to get it to you.
>
> Regards,
>
> K.
> Jim Altemose wrote:
>>
>> Any tips on diagnosing a faulty fuel and temperature gauge?
>>
>> I checked the 1962to1965 tech site.  The first couple of articles are
>> stale links and don't work anymore:
>> # Solid state update for a MoPar Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator
>> # Diagnosing And Repairing Faulty Instrument Gauges
>>
>> The others may help, but are more for a 68.
>>
>> This is a 1963 Polara 500 with a 383.  My symptom is that both the
>> fuel and temperature gauges read 0; they never did work so it's not
>> the result of anything I did recently.  The voltage gauge works fine
>> and dash lights work fine.  It's a new sending unit since I recently
>> coated the gas tank inside.
>>
>> I'm not real savvy electrically, but I have some basic knowledge and a
>> meter.
>>
>> As always, thanks for any help.
>>
>> - Jim
>> Jim Altemose, Long Island, NY