RE: sending unit

William,

I understand your frustration however I think all of this has been
covered before but here are the basic steps that should work:

First
Have someone watch the fuel guage and ground the wire that goes to the
sender.  The gauge should respond, if not you have a wire or gauge
problem.  Do not jumper it to ground and leave it jumpered while you
check the fuel gauge the range of the fuel sender is approximately 10
ohms full, 70 - 73 ohms empty.  I don't know if could hurt the gauge but
there is a world of difference between 10 ohms and a short circuit.

Second
When you have the gauge responding when you ground the wire at the
sender attach the wire back to the sender and ground the sender, if this
works you are done, if it does not work check the sender with an ohm
meter.  Start with the one that is not in the tank, you can move the arm
and watch the resistance change.  Again, you should expect to see
approximately 10 ohms to 70 ohms as you cycle the arm.

Third
If nothing works shorting the sender wire to ground it may be the wire
to the gauge cluster, you can unplug the harness from the gauge cluster
and locate the wire to the sender using the factory manual and do a test
of the wire from end to end using an ohm meter. If the wire tests good
your problem is in the instrument cluster.  If the wire is open try
running a temporary wire and see if it works.

Last but not least
As with all trouble shooting these are just the basic steps, your
conditions may vary I could be totally off.

However if the wire is ok from the gauge cluster to the sender you
should be able with the assistance of a friend watch the ohm reading
change at the gauge cluster connector while moving the sender arm.

If all fails you can install an aftermarket fuel gauge using your stock
sender.  Autometer makes fuel gauges that work with our senders, I have
one installed in my 64 Sport Fury. I am running all Autometer gauges.
The Autometer gauge does not depend on the voltage regulator in your
instrument cluster, it runs directly on 12 volts.

If you are not up to speed using a multimeter and checking ohms and
voltage find someone who can help.  Never attempt to take ohm reading on
a circuit that is energized.

Just some thoughts, good luck with the car.  If you have any specific
questions contact me directly, I can give you my phone number.

Dennis C.

William Harrison wrote:

> I am to the point that I am really ready to take a BFH to my 65 Coronet.
> I replaced the gas tank sending unit and the gauge and still no reading.
> It just can't be 2 new sending units in a row can it??
> Thoughts???
> Thanks
> Bill Harrison

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Van Conversion
1964 Plymouth Belvedere 318 Auto
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4-speed
1949 Dodge Pickup 289/C4 soon to be changed
1998 Honda Valkyrie Standard

----