Re: sending unit

Ya the ring, not reliable! Your car had a ground strap made of heavy tin
that snapped over the fuel line and the nipple on the sender bridging the
rubber hose thus the ground from the factory.  A lot of people removed them
not realizing what they are or they just biodegraded and fell off.  You may
get lucky and get a temporary ground through the straps and the locking ring
but the slightest corrosion will cancel that out, much like on a dirty
battery terminal.  It is called electrolytic corrosion caused by two
dissimilar metals in contact with each other.  The corrosion is a good
insulator!  Look at it like the metals don't like each other and build up a
barrier so they don't have to touch each other!  I believe Gary H had a link
to the re-pop of the factory ground bridge on here not long ago if you want
to go that route.  For now what I would do (It ant pretty but) is get two
hose clamps and a eyelet and a long piece of wire that need not be insulated
  Hose clamp the wire to the nipple between the hose and base of the sender,
jump over the hose to the fuel line clean it up and hose clamp the wire to
the fuel line.  That should work as a ground just fine but, grounding it to
the frame also will be even better.  That will give you a three point ground
if your with me!  Now if you have a flashing test light at the wire in the
back and a good connection to your sender I bet your gauge will work!  Let
me know how this works.

 Herb

1956 Plymouth Belvedere 361
1959 Coronet 326 Poly
1961 Belvedere Custom Suburban 318 Poly
1962 Dodge Dart 225 Slant Six
1963 Fury 2D/HT 6.1L
1963 Sport Fury Convertible 361
1999 Durango SLT 5.9L
2008 SRT-8 Magnum 6.1L
St. Louis, MO.

http://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/mmo42009.html

                               GOD Drives a Plymouth

".... GOD, in his FURY, drove them forth from Eden...."

Genesis 3:23