RE: Non related rant

Ah, a bad situation all around. Legally, I'm not sure that you have enough of a solid case to proceed with any kind of action against the offending (and offensive) parts palace. Part of your problem, from a legal point of view, is the fact that your girlfriend drove the car with the "Hot" light on (I'm assuming the light was still on after the coolant was added).
However, you have nothing to lose by talking to the store manager and/or district manager. At the very least you might be able to arrange something whereby they would supply free parts for the rebuild or parts at cost - that sort of thing. Talking with them would also give you some idea about the nature of this company and how willing they are to make things right. Don't hold your breath, though.
In a court of law, including small claims court, the 'defense' will point out that your girlfriend should have known better than to drive the car with an 'idiot' light on and/or you should have taught her about such situations. They do, of course, have a point. However, like most people, we automatically assume that nothing will go wrong. Car enthusiasts all too often assume that other people driving their cars know more than they actually do.
My girlfriend was driving my car when the car coasted to a stop right in a rotary. She called me and said that the "car had died" (sound familiar?), so I hopped on my motorcycle and zipped out to where she was stranded. Unfortunately, thinking that she should put on the 4-way flashers (good thinking!), she assumed that you had to have the ignition on "on" (bad thinking!) for the flashers to work and didn't test them out otherwise. It turned out that she had run out of gas, and with the empty tank and an electric fuel pump located in the gas tank, she burnt out the fuel pump, turning a minor problem into one much more complicated.
The moral of my story (if there is one) is that I should have explained things to her in a little more detail, but I was guilty of a little too much "assumption", forgetting that she wasn't a 'car person' and just didn't realize.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I hope that things work out.

Bruce
'64 Chrysler