Re: ball and trunion vs u joint

I will throw this tidbit out there and you can do what you want with it! I worked as a buyer for Mopar Parts in the 70's and was responsible for the Detroit Universal Division (DUD) buying and inventory control. At that time I was buying the assembled kits from a company in Pottstown, PA called NEAPCO. They were doing the casting and machine work on the housing. Do not know anything about them now or whether they are still in that business or not. Good luck with your search!!!

From: "Butch Edison" <waedison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2010 4:47 PM
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ball and trunion vs u joint

I did not find a vendor selling ball & trunnion kits for our cars. If you do find one, please let us know who it is. After a couple years of searching, I did find some old rebuild kits and bought a few. The rubber boots were still good, but the needle bearings in the cups, well, some were a bit rusty. Your
note reminds me to take them to a bearing shop today and see if I can get
new needle bearings or if they can provide the complete U-joints.
Fortunately for me, my ball & trunnion U-joints were still in good shape,
just needed to replace the rubber boot, which is very hard to come by (at
least it was for me). Some of our members had had luck I think using some VW
rubber boots. Whatever you use, be sure to grease the heck out the rubber
boot and then nurse it on, as it can be torn.

Again, if you find a vendor, please let us know. Those old B&T U-joints were
used all the way up the Mopar food chain to the Max Wedge cars. I have a
friend who drag raced those MW cars for Chrysler in the 60s and 70s as a
team driver and he had no problems with them.

/Butch/Ferndale, WA