RE: off topic 340 engine

Okay, here's what I know. The 340 came out in 68 and was in production until 73. It was replaced by the 360 in 74. The 340 was only a high performance engine. You could only get a 4 BBL Thermoquad on the 340, no 2 BBL option on it ever. I think HP was listed at 285 for the whole run, but it's been widely accepted that this figure was underrated. I'm not positive, but I believe the crank, and perhaps all the engine's internals) was forged for the whole production run.

If his truck does have a 340 in it, he's doing pretty good. Even if he wants to go back to stock, he can sell the 340 for some decent money. A-body fans especially love them as they make an A-body scream.

One last tidbit. Starting in 71, in high-performance B-bodies, the big block was standard and the 340 was an extra cost option. It was sid that the 340 B-bodies handled much better than their big block relatives. Kind of interesting.

I hope this helps.

Brian