Rockers

Hi All,

   Was putting on my new black MP rocker covers the other day, and took a good look at the valve train while I was doing it (1966 383).

First thing I noticed was that some turkey had 2 of the rockers in the wrong place, on cylinder 2 I had two lefts, and on cylinder 8 I had two rights. I pulled the shaft to swap them, and noticed that 4 of the rockers are different than the other 4, and are extremely stretched ( there is a good 1/4" of play between the rocker and the shaft for these 4 rockers, the shaft hole in the rocker, that should be round, is now shaped like an 0!).

So I figured I'd just order up 4 P4529477's, since they are all the same one's, but was thinking about maybe installing some roller rockers.

I know a guy locally who has a used set of Comp Pro Magnums, good shape, low miles, no galling on the shafts, he wants $250 for them. Not a bad deal, from what I read these are tried and true rockers that have good reviews.

My question is, am I going to really noticed any performance gains by installing these?

My engine is a 66, has the 516 smaller valve heads, with a mild cam, headers, Wieand Intake, and Holley 750. It's in a boat (64 Newport Vert), so every little bit of power increase helps. I plan to order a set of Aerohead 516's with the bigger valves in the future.

From the reading I've been doing, the pluses of going to these are

1) True 1.5 ratio, stock are really closer to 1.4
2) Roller tips, less friction
3) Lighter and stronger
4) Adjustible, so I'll be able to get the right preload

I know I'll have to get an adjustible pushrod and order new pushrods as well, so it'll be a $400 investment by time I'm done, versus spending $50 for 4 new MP stock replacement rockers.

As usual any insight is appreciated!

Jay