Re: Early 70's 413

Roger is spot on with this. I used a 72 motorhome 413 block. I chucked the heads,exhaust manifolds,water pump housing,and pan for the reasons he stated.I knew this going in as I only wanted the block for my needs.

George

From: "Dodger7998@xxxxxxx" <Dodger7998@xxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: Early 70's 413

I have used several 413 and 440 taken from motor homes, here is what I have found on the ones I have done,

the oil pans are not useable in our cars, they are a rear sump and interfere with the steering linkage

most of these units have a big truck type water pump housing on them where it feeds directly into the head, not just the block and the pulleys are farther out from the block

the heads  have all been small valve heads and have the water inlets in them I suppose that you could plug/cap the inlets and use the heads, but seems like a waste if your looking for power

the exhaust manifolds have a large square flange on them and dump to far out from the engine to make use of in a car frame

one of the units I did had a gear drive cam,,,,,,  the other two were regular chain drive,,,,,, regardless these cams are designed for low RPM torque, and not speed

The transmissions on the units would not work in a car, they had a large emergency brake drum built on the end of the transmission,

All three of the motor homes, as well as the three industrial motors that I have used had good steel cranks in them, and were the 6 bolt pattern not the 8 bolt, I believe that the 8 bolt were used in the heavier manual shift type trucks