Re: manual tranny options for a 62 dart

The 4-speed option for '63 models was the T10 Borg-Warner with a ball
& trunnion flange. Expensive, hard to find and relatively fragile.

For a '62 in which you want to keep things reasonably original-
looking, a 4-speed is not really an option, in my opinion. The A833 is
the only decent choice for a transmission, it requires quite a large
lump on the side of the tunnel to contain the left side of the
transmission (all the internal mechanisms are on that side) as well as
the levers on the side of the box and the shifter and rods.

If the aim is to keep it looking 'reasonably original' I would go for
the A230, the 3-speed from 1970-on cars which is very strong and has
synchromesh on all three gears, it's identified by having an aluminium
side cover with the change levers mounted in it. Ratios are fairly
wide, but not unbelieveably so. With it you can use the standard 3-
speed column change stuff... or you can fit a floor change if you
wish, but there'd be no large lump on the tunnel.

The other possible choice is a difficult one to find, as far as I know
(I'm not in America scouring wrecking yards, it might well be
different to what I think...). This is the Borg-Warner T85, it was
used in some big block cars and is a tough old tranny, it probably
came with a floor change, but I simply don't know. Actually, I would
like to know... anyone?

They're probably a lot easier to find for Fords and GM stuff,
particularly pickups, and you could find one with an overdrive
attached which would be a bonus that wouldn't be very visible when
fitted... again, if you are trying to keep it looking 'reasonably
original'. A Ford T85 would best be adapted by getting the input shaft
extended. This isn't a big deal, really, people here do it for about
$100. Again, finding a bellhousing is another issue, but I'm sure you
could do something with a big block A745 bellhousing.

The A745 was the standard transmission in these models, by the way. It
was a 'top loader' type transmission with no synchromesh on first
gear. It originally came in the B-body length with the ball & trunnion
flange, in about '65 it changed to a sliding yoke and ran through
until about 1971... it did overlap the A230, it doesn't have the
typical three-lug shifter mount on the tail housing. Available ratios
include a nice close 2.55:1 first gear version which was the big block
unit, small blocks often had (and some slant sixes had...) a 3.09:1
first gear.

I have had some correspondence with someone who has one of these
2.45:1 versions for sale, I could pass on the details if you're
interested (but not until next week as I am away from home). Again,
they are decent sized gears and were made for big block use, they are
distinguished from the usual slant 6 (and some 318) 3-speed of the
early years by having a lump in the otherwise flat 'top loader'
pressed steel cover, this is over top of the shift mechanism for
second and third gear, ie. towards the front of the transmission. This
is important to note when looking for what you want, the lighter
transmission is the A903 and it really looks the same otherwise.

I'm very interested in this topic and I don't mind if you e.mail me
directly ( raybell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ) about details. I applaud anyone
who gives an automatic the flick and puts in a manual!

So there's some real choices for you...

Ray