Re: Pertronix Or Not

I have the complete distributor on my 383 but it runs the Pertronix
III module.  It works GREAT.  I bought it because I wanted the
internal rev-limiter with my 4-speed.  Not planning on getting stupid
and missing a shift but .....

I do not recommend the complete distributor unless they have changed
the design.  It is larger, I had interference problems with the head
and valve cover that took minor grinding to get it to fit.

I did have a problem, it did not stop working but I was seeing dips on
the electronic tach and feeling an occasional engine miss.  Pertronix
replaced the module, no additional problems, I have had the unit for
several years.  I bought it when it first came out, I had to wait for
mine a couple of months.  I suspect that if there were problems on the
first units they have been corrected.

As noted by another member some have had problems.  I personally would
buy another unit and probably will when I update my 64 Poly.

On a long road trip a couple of years ago I did take a standard
distributor, tools and a timing light along on the trip, did not need
to use them.  However I also took an alternator, voltage regulator and
fuel filter.  Things happen on old cars, I went through a couple of
voltage regulators until I found a crack in the field wiring that
would short and kill the voltage regulator, I just ran a new wire to
correct the problem.

Per my discussions with Pertronix the ballast resistor is not used and
the Pertronix unit will run any coil however having said that I run
their coil that looks stock, I just pulled their sticker off of the
coil.  I jumpered my ballast resistor to make it easy to switch back
if needed.

Although I had a problem and others have also there are so many of the
Pertronix units out there that run without a problem I am not
concerned about them.

Take Care
Dennis