From: Tom Watters <tomwatters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Broken bolt blues
To: "The 1962 to 1965 Mopar Mail List Clubhouse" <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, February 4, 2012, 2:19 PM

I've broke a few of these off before.  Can be a real pain.  Water Pump/
Timing Cover bolts that go thru the water jacket should always be
examined and usually replaced if corroded, so the next round of water
pump replacement you dont hit up against this issue.

My .02 follows

If the broken bolt is sticking out far enough from the block to get a
good set of Vice Grips on it, apply heat directly to the bolt and
clamp down and see if you can get it to release.  Else, you or a shop
is going to have to extract the broken bolt from the block.

A left handed set of hardened drill bits and a good solid center
punch, and possibly a set of easy-outs will be most likely needed.
Hand angling the drill to be sqare with the block is key.  And start
with a bit thats at least 1/2 as small as the bolt you are drilling
thru.  eg, a 3/8 bolt, the pilot hole should be no larger than
3/16th.  Probably a 1/8 bit to put a pilot hole slowly & squarely thru
the center of the bolt.  Hardened steel bolts require slower speeds to
drill thru and Oil the hole from time to time to keep the bit from
dulling/burning.  Having the bit not square with the block, could
screw up threads or the block.  Many times, the bolt will come off
with just the first pilot hole, or the next size if drilling the pilot
doesnt free it.

For a 3/8 bolt, the 1/8" hole should be checked to ensure it is square
and center before stepping up to a 7/32" bit (The Max i'd ever
consider).  If that bit doesnt remove it, then using an easy-out is
next step, paying careful attention NOT to break it off in the bolt
you are extracting.  Easy outs can be useful, but if you break them
off in a block, you have bigger issues because those are very hard to
drill thru.

Once you get it out, trace the hole with a tap, to ensure threads are
clean and complete.  If you screwed the threads up, you may need to
get a Helicoil and replace the threads or have a shop do it.