Re: Engine Assembly Questions

I think that just about every major brand of oil has it's own secret assembly lubrication, and if polled am sure that they could all come up with people that would swear by it as well as at it, some of the old timers even had their own secret concoctions, most of which were a mix of STP and what ever brand of oil they were going to end up using and a little bit of white lithium grease. I believe that the secret is to make sure that there are no bare (dry) parts left sitting in the engine especially if it is going to be sitting for any amount of time before starting.  If you have coated all your bearings and rings with most any oil, and used what ever has been sent to you with your new cam for it's starting coat that you will be just fine, I like to fog the inside of motor with oil as well just to keep any surface rust from starting to appear because of all the attention that was devoted to installing clean parts in the engine, and actually having left them unprotected from the condensation that will occur unless you have an environmentally controlled storage place better than mine.
Lubricate the pressure relief spring on the oil pump with regular oil, and pack the pump gears with petroleum jelly, this will aid in you prelube before start up.
    Prelube before start up can be done several ways, one of the old list members swore by using an IV type system where he would attach a hose between a jug of oil suspended above the engine so as to siphon it down and into the oil pressure gauge fitting for like 24-36 hours so as to fill all the oil passages and float the air pockets out, I prefer to use a battery powered drill driving the oilpump to push the air out and fill the galleys, watching the oil gauge, and turning  the engine about a 1/4 turn ever so often so as to line up all of the oil passages during this time.
    And yes unless you have a few thousand dollars worth of quality gauges laying around and are proficient with their use by all means use plasti-gauge to check each of the rod and main bearing for clearance, plasti-gauge is all but foolproof and cheap insurance that your doing it right.
     Also make sure that you have and accurate/quality torque wrench for use during assembly, all those numbers that people have taken time to write down for  your use are important in the final outcome and longevity  of your engine.
      I am sure that I have forgot to mention everything, but hope that this is a good start, as other's will chime in on anything I left out.