Re: Fuel Injection

The cost thing seems to be the real problem, not really the conversion.  If they were only 200 for the parts, I bet most of us would have it in our cars.  Cars have changed a lot since they were first made.  Tech has made modern cars almost maintenance free.  The Distributor gave way to the Electric ignition, and that gave way to the coil pack.  Cars don't have a gear driven distributor anymore.  Why?  Because the coil packs and pick up sensor give a better spark, last longer and you do not have to touch them till they fail.  Try going 150k on your old car and not get in to the Distributor, points, cap, rotor....you can't do it.  It fails long before that.

EFI is the same thing.  We went from carbs, to TBFI, the EFI to now DFI.  It went from poor dependability, constant adjustments to something we rarely ever have to touch.  About once a year I had to mess with my carb, once every 5 years for the TBFI, almost never for the EFI and DFI has been around in diesels but it's new for gas, I don't know of anybody having problems with it.  I'm sure there are problems, everything will break, but what it means is....Better start up, no more warm up period, better fuel economy, better power and more even throttle response under all different kinds of loads.  Carbs just do not do that was well as EFI can.

EFI can handle the fuel that is already showing up, and in a few years will probably be so hard for carberated cars we will have no choice but to convert our cars if we want to use them.  Car Tires and wheels will be changing soon.  Our cars are going to look silly with the new wheels and tires, but they never go flat, don't fail and can take an impact and still drive and you can make 3 sets of tires with the same resources as 1 set that we all use today, BIG savings.  Air filled Tires can't do that.  It may be 20-40 more years before tires as we know them are gone forever.  But it's coming

The world we live in can't stop for our time machines that we love to play with.  You would never even consider going back to an old 8088 Tandy computer to do email on.  And you really can't even if you wanted to.  That tech is long dead and gone.  It died out in the late 1980's.  Not that long ago.

The truth is our cars are unsafe, unreliable, pollute, leak, and cost a lot of resources.  I do not think we need to have all the old cars scraped, we do not.  They are works of art, labors of love, part of American history.  We should enjoy them while we can.  We should prepare for the changes that will come.  We need to all consider things like EFI, Seat belts, New tires, (remember when you HAD to keep a spare tire in your car, you will use it. How many times have you used the spare tire in the new cars...tires are much better now) New safety glass (if your head goes through a 1962 windshield like my car has, it will cut your neck all the way around, and that's it.  The new glass dose not do that, it breaks in a better way.  Disk brakes so we can stop our cars like the new cars.  Some of us can go to rack and pinion steering, so much better than linkages.  There are so many ways we can update the function and dependability of our cars for the better, it will let us use them longer.  So our kids will be able to enjoy it too.

$2000 seems like a lot for an EFI system, but really it's not that bad.  The trouble free operation is worth a lot.  To be able to use the new fuels that are coming will be so nice.  To not have to hunt for that antique gas station that is still around, if it's around.  I spent $2000 to upgrade my front brakes and rebuild my front end.  I bet you I will have to redo my front end again long before Cory has to replace parts in his new EFI system.

Just something to think about.  If I had $2000 I'd go for it, but it will wait a year for me.   :)

--
Eric
Tacoma, WA