Re: Running a bit hot,,,Question!

Sounds like your cooling system is working fine.

It is normal for the engine to spew antifreeze into the overflow tank
when you shut the car off, especially in hot weather.   That is why it
is there,

While the engine is running the coolant is picking up heat from the
engine, circulating through the rad to dissipate the heat and go back
into the engine.  When you shut the engine off, the circulating stops
and the cooling stops.  That hot antifreeze has to go somewhere, so it
goes into the overflow.  When the engine cools down the antifreeze is
drawn back into the radiator.

Before they had overflow tanks the hot antifreeze would exit via the
overflow hose that ran from the rad cap and down the side of the
radiator and pool on the ground.  That is why it was important to
check the level in the radiator often back then as you were loosing
coolant virtually everytime you shut off a hot engine.

If your overflow is overflowing, then you do have a problem.

A 1971 440 should use a 16 psi rad cap and a 185 thermostat.

Bill
Toronto, ON