Re: Paint Rejuvination Tips?

I've had nice results with new cars finishes using http://www.meguiars.com/ products.  Cost effective, work well, well explained for the novice.  I've made 2001 vintage cars look like new.  Cars that sit outside and get trashed.

These are the steps I do...all by hand no machines (buffers)

1. A through bath.  I use a combination of soft brushes (vinyl tops, around lights and chrome, bumpers etc.), stiff brushes (wheels and tires and sometimes door jambs, stubborn spots on the vinyl) soft cloths (old t-shirts, terry towels) LOTS of running water.  The soap I use depends on the level of dirt.  I've used Tide laundry soap for just beat finishes (Tide can damage a paint job if you use a lot of it or do not rises it well or let it dry on the paint), Dawn dish soap works well...removes waxes, grease and bug marks well.  You can also buy a car wash soap...whatever you like.  When washing it, the running water rinses the wash rag so dirt don't scratch it, rinses the car so soap won't dry on it, and the brushes.  Rinse all the time and keep the car wet so it won't spot.  Unless you like cleaning off spots too.

2.  Use a Clay Bar to take off the packed in dirt.  Yes it's another bath.  Get a clay bar kit, follow the instructions.  You will be surprise how much more dirt is in the paint.

3.  If the clear is scratched up use a scratch remover.  They make a clear coat rubbing compound for badly scratch up finishes and a less abrasive product for lighter scratches.  Pick the product that matches your needs.

4.  After removing the scratches, and you now have it as shiny finish again, use either your favorite wax, polish or one of Meguiar's clear coat protectorates.

That is what I do to modern finishes.  My old Chrysler paint...that was just beat and could not be saved, I used to wash with comet cleanser then buff it out by hand and put on Carnuba wax.  It looked great at 15 feet.  Up close...not so much....but it was shiny

--
Eric
Tacoma, WA