Re: tools questions

1) Any 14" cutoff saw I've seen does miters. The go-to saw is the
Dewalt, by far the best quality and still cheap. I wouldnt use a wood
saw for cutting metal, it will wreck the bearings quick and the motor
really isnt up to the task.

2) I have the HF tubing notcher, works great but kinda sloppy and had
to shim it a bit to center it up. I use it for odd angles or notches
in tube that is near a bend. Otherwise I use a Bridgeport mill for
notches. JD2 makes a nice notcher but quite a bit more than HF.

3) I have a JD2 Model 3 tubing bender, works great with nice smooth
bends. I also have a HF pipe bender that I use for schedule pipe, not
to be confused with tubing. You can get all the dies including square
for the Model 3, just don't use it often enough for pipe to warrant
the cost. Protools also makes a nice unit, about the same. Id get
manual unless you plan on using it often, youll also want to make a
stand and mount it on the floor with some cement lags.

4) Like you said, drill presses can be had cheap. A decent one will be
older, as long as it doesnt have a lot of runout (wobble) it will be
ok. Walker-Turner brand pops up a lot by me. I use my mill for
drilling operations but have had a W-T in the past.

5) Plasmas were mentioned, I run Hypertherm and love it, plus they
make almost all the torches for other brands so might as well buy from
the source! TIGs I run Miller Syncrowave and MIG I run Millermatic
except for my little 110 unit thats a Lincoln MIG-PAK.

PS. I tried to think of something, anything, that costs $125 a month
out here (NJ) and couldn't think of a single thing. 40x60 building
will cost you at least $3000 a month if its on a dead end street in
the ghetto, I'm currently sharing a 1800sqft building that's $3200 a
month on a main road.

PPS. There are at least 4 Harbor Freights within 15 minutes of my
location. That's whats good about living here, you don't ever have to
go far for anything.

- Dave