Re: Pertronix

If you want to get rid of your pertronix unit I will take it off your hands!!  I currently have two units in my cars that people have given me claming to have never ending problems with them and they are working flawlessly for me, with a total of six over all at this time.  The first free one was at a local car show, I swapped his unit for a set of points, condenser & rotor I got at the autozone across the street.  All I purchased was a pertronix coil and it has been in my 61 Plymouth Wagon for three years and 25000 miles on it problem free.  My 61 Dodge wagon is the second free one but with a few less miles.  A friend replaced a pertronix unit and I pulled it out of his trash for parts after he tossed it and installed a new MoPar unit.  He has since replaced two boxes on it and I have done nothing to his old pertronix after I installed it and a pertronix coil in the Dodge.  My experience with friends pertronix, is its installer error most of the time or just trying to save money and using an incorrect coil and burning the unit out.  You cant beat pertronix for a stock look on 69 or older MoPar but if you don't care what your car looks like a MoPar unit will yell that its been jacked with but will work just fine.  Bottom line, I have never had a pertronix unit I have installed, fail on me ever.

In your case what you described is not a pertronix problem or you would have NO spark.  It sounds like a bad set of wires.  Bet its been raining or very humid lately in your area, a quick way to tell is spray your wires & cap well with WD40 and try it.  Bet it starts.  If that doesn't work its the cap or possibly a rotor.   Also use the KISS method Keep It Simple Stupid, I do!!  If your running on the street and stock unless you have a lot of extra dollars stick with a plan old Igniter.  YES on upgrading the coil.  This is coming from a frugal Scott's man.

  Herb

1954 DeSoto Firedome Estate Wagon 276 HEMI
1956 Plymouth Belvedere 361 4-Sale
1959 Dodge Coronet 326 Poly
1961 Plymouth Belvedere Custom Suburban Wagon 318 Poly
1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer Wagon 318 Poly
1963 Plymouth Fury 2D/HT 7.0L Gen III HEMI
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible 361
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst 440
1979 Dodge Aspen Sport Wagon 360
1999 Durango SLT 5.9L
2008 SRT-8 Magnum 6.1L