I had a dark blue Suburban named "Big Blue", which lent its name somewhat to my '96 Lapis Blue Neon's name "Little Blue", which is now known as "Ye Olde Neon". I have of a '98 Neon named "Kind of Blue" because it's blue, but has a black hood.

My '05 CTS is called Sue because the lady who owned it previously was named Sue, and it's a black car which reminds me of Johnny Cash, and because of that, his song "A Boy Named Sue". I may just call the car Johnny, because it fits the car better. HA! Maybe I'll get more obscure and name the car "Shel", after the man who wrote the poem, "A Boy Named Sue".

~S~

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Dave64 <lt7dave@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fun story, Jim - thanks!

Dave
'64 Belvedere 2DHT
318 Poly, Push Button Auto

From: Jim Altemose <jaltemoose@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:31 PM

Subject: Re: What's you cars name?
OK, you asked.  Prepare for reminiscing. Other than my first car, none have had a name.  But my first car I bought for $250 in about 1981 or so and my friends called it the "Blues Mobile".  It was a flat battleship grey 4 door 1970 Chevy Bel Air with a black vinyl top, 350 and a lot of rust.  Ugly and mean looking but it fit a bunch of us and got us around and it got me up and down to college in Burlington, VT for four years (not always without incident). "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.""Hit it." Yes, I know it wasn't a 74 Dodge Monaco, but what the hell did we know.Anyway, one fun memory is me driving myself and 5 friends to play ice hockey.  The trunk was huge and packed full of equipment and sticks.  On the parkway my 3 friends in the back seat started bitching about smoke.  I said "Calm down, it's just blow-by dripping on the exhaust manifold."  Then in the rear-view mirror I could see it was full of smoke and they were hanging their heads out the window.  We pulled over onto the shoulder and popped the trunk, and half the hockey equipment and sticks  were on fire.  The trunk was rusted through and the 70's shag carpet covering the holes had slipped down onto the exhaust pipe and caught fire.  I had to buy the beers that night.The Blues Mobile's death (or at least divorce from me) was fun.  On New Year's Eve, maybe about 1987 or so, I decided to go up to Hunter Mountain by myself for a day of skiing; about 175 miles or so from my house on Long Island.  My Dad said I was nuts.  Got there fine, had a great day skiing, then broke down just outside of Hunter.  I didn't know as much about cars then as now, which still isn't much.  Being about 7:00 on New Year's Eve with no cell phone and cold, it was hard to figure out a way to get it fixed.  I got to a diner and asked a couple of locals if they wanted a 70 Chevy for nothing.  They said "What's wrong with it?" and I said "It doesn't work."  I signed it over, took the plates and my skiis and boots and started thumbing it.  Managed to make it to Brewster, NY, about 60 mile away, just ahead of midnight, where my old college roommate luckily was having a New Year's party.  Had fun that night.  Then I convinced a couple of friends from Long Island to go up to Vermont to go skiing where we could stay free and they picked me up on the way.  Got back home about a week later wearing the same clothes and my Dad said "Told ya."I miss those days.- JimJim Altemose, Long Island, NY'63 Polara 500 (Max Wedge)'63 Polara 500 (383)'65 Belvedere I (Street Wedge)'71 Bronco