RE: Auction: 1965 Fury II -- 1963 Polara 500

RE: Auction: 1965 Fury II -- 1963 Polara 500

Mo, Your Road Runner may have said Magnum on the air cleaner, you never know with Mopar. A friend of mine bought a Dodge Aspen that said Aspen on one side and Volare on the other. And another guy I know has a 73 Satellite Sebring that says Satellite Satellite on one side. Here’s something I copied from a site I’ve used before for Mopar air cleaner id.

Pie Tins on performance cars started in 1967 with the Belvedere GTX and Coronet R/T, and possibly the Charger, equipped with the 440 engine. The Plymouth ones said "440 Super Commando" and had crossed flags in the center where the wingnut goes. The Dodge ones said "440 Magnum". The Barracuda and Dart models equipped with 383 engines also got pie tins with the Barracuda calling out "383 Commando" and the Dart with "383 Four Barrel". In 1968, Plymouth Road Runners came on the scene and they used "383 Road Runner" pie tins. The 1968 and newer 340s all used "340 Four Barrel".

In general, Plymouth cars used "Commando" on Barracuda and non-performance models and "Super Commando" on performance models except the Road Runner which used "383 Road Runner". Dodge used "Four Barrel" on Dart and non-performance models and "Magnum" on performance models. Red coloring was used up through late 1968 (some early 1969 models?) and orange coloring was used for most 1969 models and later.

Here’s a link to the website, it’s pretty informative and has pictures of all the air cleaners:

http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm

And lastly I feel your pain. I could make the payments but I couldn’t afford the gas. L