Re: Gas quality

Starting to venture a little off subject but I received this from
another group, I have not tried to verify but looks good:

It's time for Congress to reconsider the "ethanol mandate" for fuel

By Donald W. Lyons, The Gazette-Mail, May 18, 2013

It is important to all of us that Congress takes action this year to
modify the "ethanol mandate" which requires Americans to use a
specified amount of ethanol in the gasoline for cars and trucks.

Several years ago Congress set the mandated amount of ethanol too high
and this is causing increasing problems. The ethanol mandate is part
of the Renewable Fuel Standard that was created by the Energy Policy
Act of 2005 and expanded by the Energy Independence and Security Act
of 2007. These Acts set mandated amounts and timetables for biofuels
to be added into the nation's transportation fuel supply.

The motivation behind the legislation was to force the use of ethanol
and other biofuels in order to achieve the desired benefits of reduced
vehicle emissions, reduced greenhouse gas generation, and reduced
importation of oil. It has been more than five years since this
legislation was passed and the United States Environmental Protection
Agency promulgated the Renewable Fuel Standard as prescribed by the
legislation. We now have a wealth of actual implementation experience.
In many respects the Renewable Fuel Standard has not worked out as
anticipated. The expected benefits have not been as great as
anticipated and several unexpected consequences and implementation
challenges have emerged. It is time to make some changes in the
Renewable Fuel Standard, and EPA cannot make the changes that are
needed until Congress acts with new legislation.

The legislation specified that an ever increasing amount of renewable
fuel be blended with gasoline. The amount required to be blended in
2008 was 9 billion gallons and this increases to 36 billion gallons in
2022. There are different sources of renewable fuels, but almost all
of the renewable fuel available today is ethanol, derived by
fermentation of corn. It was originally anticipated that several
advanced alternative sources of renewable fuels would be developed,
but the technology for alternatives has developed slower than
anticipated. The result is that 13.8 billion gallons of corn ethanol
will be required in 2013 and by 2015 at least 15.0 billion gallons
will be mandated.

The production of this much ethanol from corn now consumes 40 percent
of the nation's corn crop, which has had the effect of pushing up food
prices for everyone. People in many countries that relied on American
corn as basic food have been priced out and are suffering. In some
Midwestern states, as much as 5 percent of the pasture land is being
turned into cropland each year driven mostly by the ever increasing
size of the ethanol mandate. So much corn being problems.

The United States is also starting to experience a problem in the
implementation of the program. Ethanol is normally blended with
gasoline at a ratio of up to 10 percent ethanol to gasoline. This
blend ratio fuel works satisfactorily in most engines. In 2007, the
United States was using 142 billion gallons of gasoline annually and
it was projected this would increase to 150 billion gallons by 2012.
But, improving fuel economy and conservation has resulted in the use
of only 134 billion gallons of gasoline in 2012. In order to blend the
mandated 15.0 billion gallons of ethanol it will be necessary to start
to sell some gasoline with an ethanol to gasoline ratio of 15 percent.
However, it has been determined that a 15 percent blend will likely
cause damage to vehicles older than 2001 (more than 30 percent of the
nation's fleet) as well as motorcycles, heavy duty vehicles, boats,
off-road vehicles like snowmobiles, and small engine equipment like
lawn mowers and chain saws.

This means that gasoline stations will have to add another storage
tank and pump in order to provide a 15 percent blend for newer
passenger vehicles and a 10 percent blend for all the other engines
not suited for the high blend level. The cost to accomplish this will
be major. Also, misfueling must be prevented, and no good ideas of how
to prevent misfueling have been established.

The only practical way to overcome the negative impacts not originally
anticipated when Congress passed the previous legislation in 2007 is
for Congress to immediately pass new legislation establishing a
reasonable and practical level for use of renewable fuels. Probably
new advanced processes for producing renewable fuels will be developed
in the future, and we should encourage this development and use these
new fuels when they become available. However, the current "ethanol
mandate" should be changed immediately.

 Lyons is en engineering professor at West Virginia University.