Re: ballast resistor elimination

In an article titled, "It Starts With A Spark" written by John Hinckley for the Corvette Enthusiast magazine (a DPF file of the article can be found on the internet) states the function of the ballast resistor in a points ignition system is to "reduce the battery's 12 volts to 6-7 volts to the coil primary windings during normal operation to extend the life of the points and to prevent the coil from overheating". Corvette's used a ceramic encased resistor until 1967 just like Mopar it was replaced by a resistance wire in 1968-1974. John Hinckley was involved with the development of the Corvette for GM starting in 1964. He worked for GM for 21 years. He was inducted into the Corvette hall of fame in 2009. He was also the manager for the Viper assembly plant. He is a world recognized expert in the automotive restoration field. I had previously read several articles covering point ignition systems that contained the same information. I did not pick it out of thin air. Hope that puts things to rest Herb.