Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2014 5:49 AM
Subject: Cam size

Hey y'all.  Going out of town until Monday but got a question for the group.  Is there any way to determine what size cam I have in my 440 without taking it apart.  The reason I don't know what size cam I have is that I bought the motor from a guy who needed money for an operation.  He said he put in a cam "a size or two above the factory" but did not remember what grind.  Plus he re0 ringed it.  He said he used the original pistons.  The block is a 1970 casting.  The reason I ask this is cuz I'm trying to find the best matching intake for my car.

Here's what I got.  65 Polara with above engine and a rebuilt 727 tranny with the stock torque converter.  3.23 gears with 245/60/R15's on the front, and 255/60/R15's on the back.  The car is 100% original except for the tranny, engine and tire size.  The original tire size was something like 195/75/R14.  Damn car would lay 50 foot patches of rubber no problem with those little things on there.

I've wanted to ditch the cast iron boat anchor for a while now but haven't had the money until now.  And I want to do it right the first time instead of being unhappy with my choice of intake.  So yeah, I need some serious advice with this.  Or should I just pick an intake and be done with it.  What I really want is some more low end grunt without sacrificing my top end.  I know the much larger than factory tires will make my gear ratio closer to a 2.97 or so.  As I said, I don't want to be unhappy with my choice of intake.  So any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Cory