Re: Steering Column Question

Thank you, Lyle.

Jim

On Monday, June 30, 2014 5:23:26 PM UTC-4, carv...@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Jim

Here are instructions from the FSM for Power Steering. I hope this is helpful.

Lyle

On Monday, June 30, 2014 1:01:32 PM UTC-4, JimJablonski wrote:
Hey there folks,

I popped off the steering column yesterday.  I drove out the roll pin at the sterering gear, unbolted the firewall and collar bolts from the inside of the car, then gave it a tugaroo to pull it free.  I was surprised to find when I pulled it out that it had become disconnected at the little grease box (not sure of the proper name) and not at the end of the column / at the steering gear.  So I pried-off the end still connected to the gear, and re-attached it to the column by bending the tangs back down on the grease box cover.

Could someone validate this assumption for me:

I am assuming that it is OK to pop it back in, and that the connection under what I am calling the "grease box" will stay connected once the column is re-attached to the gear, and bolted to the firewall?  My assumption is that it cannot move front-to-back once bolted in, so it won't come apart at the "grease box."  Additionally, the little tangs on the grease box are just there to keep the cover on and could not possibly have anyting to do with holding things together.

Does this sound right or do I have an issue?  I would hate for the steering wheel to come off in my hands the first time I put my foot into the stroker.

Thank you,

Jim