Re: Timing on New Engine?

Larry,
I didn't see any mention of the distributor intermediate shaft. I must be clocked properly with the cam gear to position your rotor properly.
Mike LeFevre

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:08 AM, ALIENVOICE via The 1962 to 1965 Mopar Mail List Clubhouse <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am finally trying to get my 318 poly engine started after a full rebuild, and am not sure that I have the distributor dialed in close enough to get it firing.  Definitely getting fuel and spark, as it has backfired through the carb and out the exhaust manifold (no exhaust on it right now, as the old exhaust was toast).

Nice flame through the carb, and out the exhaust manifold, but no sign that it is going to start.  Tried to see if I could use the timing light, but could not find the timing tab (maybe they left it off or lost it?).  I can see the timing mark on the damper, but without a timing tab, doesn't seem to be much help.  Tried moving the distributor, but not really successful.  Might be 180 degrees out?

Engine is a newly-rebuilt 318 poly, new 4bbl Edelbrock Performance carb, factory iron intake/exhaust.

Thoughts?  Really wanted to get it going before the cold came through, but it's rolling into Ohio tonight.

Larry (Akron)