The machinist that Dodger, Paul and I use would agree with this. He is no fan of the heavy weight oils. I wrote up a blurp about what he said a year or more ago.  The gist of it was that in the olden days they raced with 50wt oil.  Then it gradually started going down in weight over the years. The heavy oil actually adds friction and reduces efficiency. He races using Mobil 1 with a zddp additive and in 2wt..  Yes "two' weight! This is in conjunction with all the misc engine coatings they now use on pistons, heads, valves, etc etc.. Piston clearances have also narrowed dramatically. They used to be sure the alum pistons had room to "grow" but now they are extremely tight in the bore and are coated with ceramic and poly. He said the manufacturer now tells him to just hammer them into the bores and don't worry about it :-)  Pretty slick stuff I guess. BTW mine have the poly/ceramic coating too.
He says he no longer even tears down his engine during the season and has no dipstick to check oil level.  Superior longevity with the combo of coatings and modern oil technology.

Rich Kinsley '64 Dodge Polara 4dr LeRoar 318poly w/less goodies

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Herb <zephyr9900@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tears up your engine.  The short & simple answer, to make 10w oil lubricate like 40w they add so much additive it cannot be held in suspension under the heat conditions your engine lives in.  The additive breaks down and becomes an abrasive thus killing your valve guides & piston rings/cylinders causing excessive wear.  New car manufactures just stop short of saying it completely voids your warranty but will not warranty any premature wear/damage caused by using 10w40 and it will damage your engine in the long run!

When I said separate you from your money I meant selling you something that will do you no good.  This is a great example of marketing & politicks, if you tell someone it is so 12 times, they belive it is!  Back in the day they thought 10w40 was "all that", pennzoil advertised the daylights out of it and everyone believed it. Time has proven that is not correct.

-------Original Message-------

From: Bill M
Date: 12/15/2014 5:02:17 PM
Subject: Re: ZDDP Additives

I'm confused. What's so horribly wrong with 10w40 weight oil? You said that like its $1000/qt?

On Dec 15, 2014 5:48 PM, "Herb" <zephyr9900@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A good engine/machinist, Mechanic guy that knows what he is doing, or worth his salt would NEVER recommend 10w40!  A parts replacer/label reader or someone wanting to separate you from your money
Would.  Just my 2¢

Just like all my friends that install interiors jokingly tell people to use armor-all on their interiors and tops.  They know they will be ruined in short order and they get to sell stuff!